Any combination of colour, texture, pattern and sealer. The choices are many when it comes to decorative concrete and coatings.
Many choices means there are many questions when it comes to slip resistance, decorative concrete and coatings.
Concrete Colour Systems have spent extensive time and funds in conducting site trials for various combinations so we can provide a guide to you on:
- How each coating may (if any) impact on the surface texture and slip resistance.
- Typical slip resistance ratings of exposed aggregate, honed and polished concrete, broom and coving finishes, patterned/stamped and stencil finishes for new concrete and solutions for existing concrete surfaces.
- Surface textures and coating combinations for slope driveways, pool surrounds and areas where food spills are likely.
- Cleaning and maintenance of coloured concrete and sealers.
As concrete is not the lightest medium and a sample can not be easily moved to a laboratory for testing, Concrete Colour Systems conduct an independent test program with the pendulum rating on site.
Australian Standards including AS4586 Slip Resistance Classification of New Pedestrian Surface Materials, HB197 An Introductory Guide to the Slip Resistance of Pedestrian Surface Materials and HB198 Guide to the Specification and Testing of Slip Resistance of Pedestrian Surfaces are key documents that reference which rating to specify in certain environments.
When it comes to achieving the P5-P0 slip resistance ratings (as quoted in Australian Standards) , CCS can assist in many ways including:
- suitable surface textures and coatings advise,
- preparing a project specification,
- design and onsite technical support,
- product for site trials,
- cleaning and maintenance guides.
Please contact us to discuss your project requirements.
Call our CCS Helpline or your local CCS Specifications Managers on 1800 077 744 or email [email protected].
If you are short of time and are making a decision after hours, please consider the following:
- Choose a surface texture that has more texture rather than less.
- Coving trowel and heavy broom finish are common choices for driveways.
- Choose a penetrative sealer, rather than a film forming topical sealer*.
- Traction aids or grit medium that is added to film forming sealer will only wear with abrasion.
- For commercial projects, specify a site sample of 1mx1m to be completed by the awarded contractors. Request sample product from CCS.
- Request a cleaning and maintenance guide on project handover.